12 November 2012 – 5.30pm: Breaking news. Prime Minister Gillard announced, this afternoon, that the government has agreed to a royal commission into institutional responses to allegations of child sex abuse in Australia – The Australian
Everyone I know agrees we need a national (not state) Royal Commission into child sex abuse – AKA child rape – in the Catholic Church and other religious institutions.
There are now several petitions floating around the internet, but I’m very pleased and proud to be one of eight well-known Australians to launch the petition below.
At the invitation of Catherine Deveny, social commentator, comedian and celebrity, I’ve joined with:
- Jane Caro, social commentator, media personality and education expert
- Michael Short, editor at The Zone and editorial writer for the Age
- Father Bob Maguire
- High profile PR consultant and corporate strategist, Sue Cato
- Andrew Knight, writer of shows such as Sea Change, Fast Forward and Rake (and multi-award winner)
- Josh Bornstein, principal in charge of employment and industrial law practice at Maurice Blackburn Lawyers
- and Catherine Deveny
to launch this petition today.
That’s a pretty high powered group with amazing contact networks. And you can be sure this is only the beginning of the lobbying process. A major media release will also be issued later today.
Lawyers worked through the weekend to establish there is no constitutional law impeding the government from calling its own national Royal Commission into sexual abuse in the Catholic Church and other religious institutions.
THIS is the petition that needs to go viral in the same way the Alan Jones petition went viral.